The Bumrungrad Robotic Surgery Center was founded on the commitment to deliver continuous improvements on the quality of healthcare services — by welcoming innovation and advanced technologies. Bumrungrad Hospital first adopted robot-assisted surgery in 2016, beginning with the surgical treatment of prostate cancer.
What is Robot-Assisted Surgery
Robotic-assisted surgery is a minimally-invasive surgery that is carried out by a human surgeon through a computer-enhanced robotic system. During surgery, the surgeon controls the mechanical arms of the robot which can bend and rotate miniature surgical instruments in up to 7 different degrees of motion, while viewing a high-definition, 3D image of the surgical site on a display screen. This enables surgeries to be safer and more effective than through traditional techniques.
The Key Objectives in the Establishment of the Bumrungrad Robotic Surgery Center
- To provide robotic surgical services covering nearly all organ systems. Examples of conditions and diseases which are appropriate for the use of robotic surgery include:
- Gastrointestinal tract diseases, such as esophageal cancer and colorectal cancer
- Diseases of the liver, pancreas, and biliary system, such as liver cancer, gallbladder cancer and gallstones
- Urinary tract diseases, including prostate cancer, bladder cancer and kidney cancer
- Gynecological diseases, such as uterine cancer or fibroids, ovarian tumors and pelvic organ prolapse
- Respiratory and chest diseases, such as lung cancer and chest wall tumors
- General surgery, such as bariatric surgery for the treatment of obesity as well as surgery of hernias, the spleen and adrenal tumors
- To offer advice and to provide knowledge and information about the use of robot-assisted surgery to patients and their families — as well as to others who are interested.
Benefits of Robot-Assisted Surgery
- The high precision and accuracy made possible by robotic arms that are able to bend and rotate freely results in surgeries being safer and far more effective
- Very small incisions, minimal blood loss, and much faster recovery
- Reduced risk of post-operative complications
Highlights of the Bumrungrad Robotic Surgery Center
- A team of expert specialists led by an internationally renowned surgeons specializing in the use of robot-assisted surgery from the United States, along with general surgeons and surgeons from other specialties, and a specially trained and experienced multidisciplinary team of medical personnel.
- A knowledge center for robot-assisted surgery: we provide information, knowledge and consultation regarding the use of robot-assisted surgery to patients, their families, and other individuals who are interested.