Helped by medical advances and greater awareness about health, the average lifespan is longer than ever, and people are remaining healthy and active well into old age. People entering retirement can look forward to many years of healthy, active living.
However, older adults still face many potential health issues. They may be affected by chronic conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes, which puts them at greater risk of stroke and heart disease. They also are susceptible to age-associated conditions including osteoporosis and dementia that are correlated with age. Older adults will have an increasing need for specialized expertise to help manage their complex health care issues.
Bumrungrad International Hospital aims to provide holistic care for older adults, from primary health and preventive care to consultation for medical issues affecting older adults, such as continence, mobility or memory concerns. Patients are served by a multidisciplinary team headed by experienced physicians and supported by a clinical nurse specialist, clinical pharmacist, nutritionist and physical therapist. The Bumrungrad specialists work together to ensure complex health issues are managed in a coordinated fashion.
- Comprehensive medical assessment by specialists focusing on common age-associated conditions such as dementia, depression and osteoporosis;
- Screening assessment for early memory impairment;
- Screening questionnaire and evaluation for depression;
- Assessment of fall risk and consultation for risk reduction and prevention;
- Nutritional risk assessment and advice by physicians and nutritionist;
- Clinical pharmacist evaluation for medication dosage optimization, assessment of potential medication hazards and interactions in older adult patients;
- Vaccinations relevant to older patients;
- Pre-operative assessment and post-operative follow-up care for older patients requiring surgery;
- Coordination with partner organizations to assist with design changes or safety modifications to home living space specific to the needs of older adults;
- Consultation and assistance regarding living wills and palliative care.