Memory Clinic – Treating Dementia & Memory Impairment
At Bumrungrad, we have a Memory Clinic to specifically work with Dementia (of which Alzheimer’s disease is the most common). The Memory Clinic treats memory based conditions which cause dementia, such as:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Brain Tumors
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD)
- Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB)
- Fronto-temporal Dementia
- Korsakoff's Syndrome
- Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
- Subdural Hematoma
- Vascular Dementia
- Dementia from movement disorders:
- Thyroid Disorders
- Vitamin Deficiency
The Memory Clinic doctors will do screening tests to determine if the cause of the dementia is “treatable” or “non-treatable”.
- “Treatable dementia”: Refers to dementia which is caused by something such as thyroid disorders, B12 deficiency, tumors, or subdural hematoma (bleeding of the brain). The doctor may then refer you to a neurosurgeon or an endocrinologist based on the cause.
- “Non-treatable dementia”: Refers to dementia which cannot be cured by surgery or medicine. However, non-treatable dementia can be assisted through the use of medicine to slow the progression of dementia. Alzheimer's disease accounts for about 65% of non-treatable dementia.
Dementia & Alzheimer's Screening
- History & physical evaluation
- Cognitive evaluation
- Blood tests, as well as heart, chest and spine evaluations for treatable conditions
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Brain MRI
Your neurologist will work with you to provide diagnosis and create a treatment plan and continuing course of action to give you the best quality of life possible.