Treatment for Myopia and Astigmatism has entered a new era with ReLEx® SMILE. This new, high precision and bladeless surgical technique uses a method called Refractive Lenticule Extraction, Small Incision Lenticule Extraction to treat patients with nearsightedness (Myopia) and Astigmatism, a condition that causes distortion in what patients see. With ReLEx SMILE, patients can say goodbye to glasses and hello to better vision in less than an hour!
How it Works:
ReLEx® SMILE uses only one type of laser (a femtosecond laser) to separate inner corneal tissue to be a 3D shape (lenticule). The lenticule is then removed through a small corneal surface incision of 2-4 millimeters, which reshapes the cornea and improves visual acuity. This incision technique also allows for faster healing time while reducing irritation of the eye. ReLEx® SMILE promises to produce better results with fewer complications, done in about minutes from start to finish. Most patients can expect to return to normal activities within a couple of days after surgery.
Why choose ReLEx SMILE?
- Minimally invasive refractive surgery.
- There is no corneal flap cutting, and minimal pressure is applied to the eye, making ReLEx® SMILE the most painless procedure compared to traditional techniques.
- Less risks for complications that usually come with cutting the corneal flap.
- ReLEx® SMILE is minimally-invasive, so patients can expect much fewer complications after surgery.
- ReLEx® SMILE can correct myopia to 1000 (-10D) and astigmatism to 500 (or -5.00 D).
- ReLEx® SMILE is an advanced option for patients with shortsightedness and/or astigmatism with contact lens intolerance and thinner cornea.
Why choose the Bumrungrad Eye Center?
Bumrungrad Hospital’s highly specialized surgical and nursing staff bring their expertise and international experience to each patient. From state-of-the-art facilities and the latest medical technology to language and cultural support, the specific needs of each patient are the core of everything we do. We understand how precious your eyes are, and treat them as if they were our own.
Refractive Surgery Center
Bumrungrad International Clinic (BIC) Building, 18th floor
Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
For Appointments and Inquiries