Large area skin injury needs to be treated as promptly as possible to prevent raised and pulled scarring. A delayed treatment may cause skin infection and increase treatment cost. Skin grafting can help the wound to heal more quickly, reduce the risk of infection, and decrease raised and pulled scar developing.
Skin grafts may be recommended for:
· Infection that has caused a large amount of skin loss.
· Skin cancer surgery.
· Other types of surgeries that need skin grafts to properly heal.
· Venous ulcers, pressure ulcers, or diabetic ulcers that do not heal.
· Large wounds and/or extensive trauma.
· Cosmetic reasons or reconstructive surgeries where there has been skin damage or loss.
· When a doctor is unable to close a wound properly, especially during surgery.