It is important that your health and disease are assessed before the procedure. You will be given all the information about your disease and the treatments offered for the most effective treatment planning. Your surgeon will explain your condition, the reason for surgery, all the risks involved, and the benefits of surgery. Furthermore, you will have to do the following:
1. Before the procedure you will undergo a physical examination and laboratory tests, such as lung function test, and the doctor may recommend that you undergo physical therapy and practice coughing and breathing.
2. If you have a history of excessive bleeding or abnormal bleeding, or if you or a family member have bruises all over the body, please let your doctor know.
3. Please inform the medical team about any allergies you have to medications, food, and chemicals/substances. Also, let them know if you have any implanted electrical devices.
4. You will need to stop certain medications for 5-7 days before the procedure, such as blood thinners. Please let your doctor know about all medication and supplements you are taking.
5. You will be asked to fast for at least 8 hours before the procedure or as recommended by the doctor.
6. Avoid drinking and smoking cigarettes for at least 1 week before the procedure.
7. The area that will be operated on will be shaved and cleaned before the procedure.
8. You will be given consent forms to sign before the procedure. Please make sure you read all documents before signing them.
9. On the day of the procedure, please bring all your current medication to the hospital.