The Horizon Regional Cancer Center at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand provides comprehensive cancer care and treatment by a multidisciplinary team of cancer specialists, including preventionm, diagnosis, treatment, assessment of treatment plan and management of possible complications, emotional support, nutritional care, pain management, and close monitoring of possible recurrence.
- Treatment of Cancer
- Assessment of patient’s health and treatment planning
- Chemotherapy drug administration
- Targeted therapy
- Blood/platelet transfusion
- Radiation therapy
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT)
- Assessment of patient’s health and treatment planning
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation to treat leukemia, lymphoma, aplastic anemia, and bone marrow cancer
- Peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (PBSCT)
- Bone marrow transplantation (BMT)
- Cancer screening
- Other services
- Testing for tumor markers and carrying out biopsies in a laboratory that meets international standards
- Care of colostomy
- Care of implanted venous access device (port-a-cath)
- Nutrition consultation
- Psychological support
- Palliative care of terminally ill patients
- Cancer support group
- Provide information and organize seminars about cancer
What is IBM Watson for Oncology?
It is well known that doctors and scientists are facing a deluge of new information every day including new scientific reports, results from recent clinical trials, and new clinical guidelines. This explosion of information is creating an overwhelming challenge to both researchers and clinicians. Cognitive solutions can address this challenge by reading and evaluating the literature, and by “learning” from clinical experience to offer evidence-based recommendations for treatment.
is creating a new partnership between people and computers that can enhance the human experience. Treating cancer is ideally suited to benefit from Watson’s cognitive capabilities because of the large body of data required to correctly treat patients with this disease, one of the leading causes of death in the world today. Watson for Oncology
is a cognitive computing solution that quickly processes the patient’s own personal data, the fast-growing medical literature, the guidelines of recognized world-class experts, and the experience of specialists at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Based on this information, Watson for Oncology then provides expert personalized treatment recommendations for consideration and use by oncologists.
What is distinctive about Watson for Oncology?
- Develops personalized treatment recommendations based on the attributes of the individual patient;
- Uses its capability to process natural language to evaluate unstructured medical reports;
- Takes advantage of its machine learning ability to enhance clinical decision-making;
- Provides the relevant medical literature curated by Memorial Sloan Kettering and the rationale for its treatment recommendations.
- Summarizes important patient characteristics from the patient’s own medical record;
- Provides supporting evidence from the medical literature for each recommended treatment option;
- Identifies important factors required for determining the optimal treatment;
- Provides educational materials for patients with cancer.
To join the social discussion about Watson, include the hashtag #ibmwatson
. Follow Watson on Facebook and see Watson on YouTube and Flickr.
The Horizon Cancer Center at Bumrungrad International Hospital provides care and treatment planning by focusing on multidisciplinary care, ensuring the highest benefit to our patients. Our medical team is made up of specialists from many different fields and medical professionals with expertise in cancer, as follows:
- Bone marrow specialist
- Surgical oncologist
- Gynecologic oncologist
- Pediatric hematologist-oncologist
- Pediatric bone marrow specialist
- Radiation oncologist
- Diagnostic radiologist
- Medical professionals
- Clinical nurse coordinator for the Horizon Cancer Center
- Pharmacist specializing in cancer and chemotherapy
- Medical physicist
- Radiology technologist
- Dual-energy linear accelerator
- X-ray simulator to precisely identify the locations (fields) for treatment, which is connected to a CT scanner and MRI machine
- Radiation shield to protect healthy tissue and organs located close to the areas being treated
- Diagnostics and nuclear medicine
- X-ray computed tomography (CT scanner)
- 1.5 tesla magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner
- Nuclear medicine including full body examination
- Ultrasound and x-ray
- Biograph 64 PET/CT scanner
- Four-dimensional CT imaging for planning treatment of cancerous tumor that moves with breath
- Equipment to control breathing during radiation and CT scan
- Monaco radiation treatment planning machine that uses 3D CRT, IMRT and VMAT
- Panichevaluk A, Akarasakul D, Pongpirul K, Tharavichitkul E, Galalae RM. Combined High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy (HDR-BT) and Whole Pelvic Radiation Therapy (WPRT) in Node Negative, Intermediate to High Risk Localized Prostate Cancer: Clinical Outcomes and Patient Behaviors across Ethnicities. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice. 2017;16:141-7.
- Gale HI, Sharatz SM, Taphey M, Bradley WF, Nimkin K, Gee MS. Comparison of CT enterography and MR enterography imaging features of active Crohn disease in children and adolescents. Pediatr Radiol. 2017. (PMID: 28470387)
- Abujudeh H, Kaewlai R, Shaqdan K, Bruno MA. Key Principles in Quality and Safety in Radiology. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017:W1-W9. (PMID: 28075621)
- Sangkhathat S, Maneechay W, Chaiyapan W, Kanngern S, Boonpipattanapong T. Association of Wilms' tumor 1 gene single-nucleotide polymorphism rs16754 with colorectal cancer. Mol Clin Oncol. 2015;3(6):1401-5. (PMID: 26807256)
- Kaewlai R, Wongwaisayawan S, Suwannanon R, Limchawalit K, Saksobhavivat N, Udompanich OM. Acute Nontraumatic Abdominal Pain in Adults: Sonographic Diagnosis and Pitfalls with Multiplanar CT Correlation. Radiological Society of North America 2013 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting; December 1-6, 2013; Chicago, IL.