Because of insurance company policies, there is a difference in the way we handle international insurance and local (Thai and expat) insurance.
Click on your category below to see insurance information:
- International Visitors: These are patients living in their country of birth, or expats without insurance supporting intentional medical travel.
- Thai: Thais living in Thailand with Thai insurance - other Thais would be "International Visitors".
- Expat: These are expats living in Thailand.
- Expat, Non-Thailand: These are expats living in other countries, with insurance plans that support intentional medical travel.
- Package Procedures: Using insurance and Bumrungrad Packages.
International visitors are looking for insurance coverage which can fit into 3 categories:
- "Intentional" Medical Travel Procedures: Traveling for the explicit purpose of doing a procedure overseas
- "Accidental" Medical Travel Coverage: While on travel, you have an accident and need medical coverage
- Complication Insurance: Insurance in case of a complication resulting from a procedure
There are almost no known insurance companies that support "intentional international medical travel". This has nothing to do with Bumrungrad International policies – this is entirely the choice of the insurance companies. In theory, Bumrungrad can support any insurance, as the patient needs to pay first and be reimbursed by the insurance company after the procedure. So the question is not if we accept the insurance, it is if the insurance company will reimburse you for the procedure. This is an important distinction to understand.
Many medical insurance policies support “accidental” medical treatment. For example, if you come to Thailand for business or holiday and have an accident while in the country, many policies will cover your treatment at Bumrungrad International. Please check with your insurance company for additional details before you travel.
As with the intentional medical travel coverage, this has nothing to do with Bumrungrad International policy – you need to check with your insurance company for additional details.
For accidental medical coverage, if your insurance company works with a medical assistance company that we have a contract with (e.g. International SOS, Mondial, etc.) then we can most likely work through them for direct billing.
You can see a list of the :
This is insurance which will cover you in case of an unknown or unexpected complication which happens from an intentional procedure, elective or otherwise. For example, if you are normal and healthy and choose to have a plastic surgery procedure done, if there complications because of the surgery, you may be able to purchase (before the procedure is done) insurance which can handle this. However, as another example, if you have diabetes and have an elective surgery performed, and there are complications from the surgery but due to diabetes, the insurance will most likely not cover the cost of the complications.
There are two companies we have worked with in the past for complication insurance. These can be seen at:
Direct Billing: Direct billing is when we charge the insurance company directly for the cost of your procedure. Many (not all) of the insurance companies we have contracts with will allow us to do direct billing. Otherwise, you will need to pay for the procedure first (usually with a deposit), and be reimbursed by your insurance company later. In addition, there may be differences in your plan depending on if you are having an Outpatient or Inpatient procedures.
You can see a list of companies we have direct billing contracts with:
However, please note you must contact your insurance company to determine if your benefits will allow for direct billing, and for what types of procedures.
Reimbursed Billing: For Thai and expat patients, many plans require you to pay first, and be reimbursed later.
Reimbursed billing will be the majority of billing methods for any insurance company we do not have a contract with.
Please note that procedure packages (e.g. Colonoscopy, CABG) are only available to self-pay patients.
These packages are not available with insurance coverage.
International (Non-Thai Subsidiary) Direct Billing Contracts
- ADAC-Schutzbrief Versicherung
- Aetna / Goodhealth Worldwide (Asia Pacific) Limited
- Aetna Global Benefit : [ HK, China,USA, Middle East, Europ]
- Aetna Global Benefits (USA)
- AIG TRAVEL ASIA PACIFIC PTE LTD.
- AIU Insurance Company Limited (OTAI Only)
- Al Koot Insurance & Reinsurance Company
- Allianz Worldwide Care Limited
- Allied Insurance Company of the Maldives PVT
- AXA Hospicare
- AXA Insurance Public Company Limited
- AXA PPP Health Care Limited
- Baoviet Insurance Corporation
- Baoviet Interglobal
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans
- Bupa Global Latin America
- BUPA International
- Cigna International [USA, UK, China]
- Customer Care Pty Ltd
- Daman Health Insurance
- DavidShield International Medicine Insurance
- Delaware American Life Insurance Company [Metlife]
- GlobalHealth Asia Limited
- GMMI/FEP (U.S. Federal Employees Plan)
- Healix International
- Healix New Zealand Ltd
- Health 360 Ancillary WLL
- Health 360°
- HTC Worldwide Incorporated Medicine System Ltd [HTH]
- Incorporated Medical Systems Limited [IMS]
- InterGlobal [ NZI ]
- International Claims Services
- International Health Insurance Denmarks [Bupa IHI]
- International Medical Group [ IMG]
- Island Home Insurance Company - Staywell Guam Inc
- JI Accident & Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Kyoei Fire and Marine Insurance Company
- Liberty Insurance Limited
- LUMA CLAIMS
- Malteser Hilfsdient GmbH
- Medical Administrators International (MAI)
- MetLife (Delaware American Life Insurance Company)
- MetLife (MSH CHINA)
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. (PA & HEALTH)
- Mobility Saint-Honore (MSH)
- Morgan Price International Healthcare Limited (Non-Contract)
- MSH China Enterprise Service Co., th [ MetLife MSH China ]
- Mutuelle Des Patentes Et Liberaux (MPL)
- National Health Insurance Company – Daman
- National Life & General Insurance
- Nippon Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Northcott Global Solutions
- Now Health International
- Oversea Insurance (On Process)
- P.T. Global Asistensi Manajemen Indonesia
- Pacific International [Pacific cross, Medsure]
- Paramount Healthcare Management
- Ping An Health Insurance Company Ltd.
- PPP Health Care Limited
- PT. Asuransi Sinar Mas
- QBE Insurance
- Q Life & Medical Insurance Company [QLM]
- Quality Health Management
- Seven Corners, Inc.
- Sompo Insurance
- TakeCare Insurance Company,INC
- Tiecare*/Global Benefits Group
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
- TRICARE US (Retiree)
- United Health International, Inc.
- United Health International, Inc. [ Accept group only :Global Solutions, Expat, Expatriate]
- United Healthcare International (Global Solutions)
- William Russell Ltd.
Thailand Company Direct Billing Contracts
- Aetna Health Insurance (Thailand) PCL
- Allianz Ayudhya
- American International Assurance Co., Ltd.
- Apex Health Insurance
- AWP - Southeast Insurance Public Company Limited
- Bangkok Insurance Public Company Limited
- Cigna Insurance PCL
- Compagnie Generale Du Siam Co., Ltd.
- Dhipaya Insurance Public Co., Ltd.
- FPG Insurance (Thailand) PCL
- FWD Life Insurance Public Company Limited
- Generali Insurance (Thailand) PCL (PA)
- Generali Life Assurance (Thailand) PCL
- Health Benefit Consultants Co., Ltd.
- Krung Thai AXA Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
- LawtonAsia (Europ Assistance) - Premier International Healthcare
- LMG Insurance Public Company Limited
- LUMA CARE Co., Ltd.
- Med-Sure Services Limited
- Mittare Insurance Co., Ltd
- MSIG Insurance (Thailand) PCL
- Muang Thai Life Assurance PCL
- Ocean Life Insurance PCL
- Phillip Life Assurance PCL (Group)
- Prudential Life Assurance (Thailand) Public Company Limited
- Safety Insurance Public Company Limited
- SCB Life Assurance Public Company Limited
- Siam Life Insurance Co., Ltd
- Southeast Life Insurance PCL
- Syn Mun Kong Insurance PCL
- Tokio Marine Life Insurance (Thailand) Public Company Limited
- Viriyah Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Southeast Insurance – LAMP
Assistance Company Contracts
- Asia Medical Assistance [AMA]
- Asian Assistance (Thailand) Co., Ltd. [ AAT]
- Assist International Services Co., Ltd
- Assistance Online China
- AUSTRALASIAN ASSISTANCE PTY LIMITED
- Cega Group Services Limited
- CMN Inc.
- Compagnie Generale Du Siam Ltd.
- Cost Containment Accident&Health International Pty Ltd
- Cynergy Care Company Limited
- Emergency Assistant Japan [ EAJ]
- Essential Healthcare Network
- Euro-Center Holding As C/O Euro Center (Thailand) Ltd.
- Eurocross International (The Netherland)
- Europ Assistance
- European Benefits Administrators.
- Falck Global Assistance Ltd.
- First assist Group Limited International Claims Department
- Global Voyager Assistance ( GVA)
- Inter Mutuelles Assistance G.I.E.
- Inter Partner Assistance Thailand
- International Medical Assistance
- International SOS Services (Thailand) Ltd.
- Malteser Hilfsdienst gGmbH
- Medgate AG Assistance
- MSIG Services
- Mutuelle Des Patentes Et Liberaux (MPL)
- OMEGA Travellers Assistance
- Prestige International
- Quality Health Management [ QHM ]
- Seven Corners, Inc.
- SOS International (The Netherland)
- SOS International Assistance Ltd.
- Takecare Insurance Company., Inc
- Teiani Emergency Assistance
- Tokyo Marine & Nichada Fire Insurance Co.,Ltd
- WELL BE : [Thailand, HONG KONG]
- World Travel Protection Pty Ltd.
- Tangiers International