Screening for coronary artery disease (CAD) using calcium scoring computed tomography (CT), also known as a coronary calcium scan
Coronary artery disease refers to a condition caused by the coronary arteries being blocked or constricted.
Coronary artery disease is the result of a buildup of plaque around the interior wall of the arteries, causing the lining of the arteries to thicken and become constricted. When this happens, the heart can’t pump as much oxygenated blood as required. Over time, if a patient develops coronary artery disease, his or her blood vessels will no longer be able to supply sufficient oxygenated blood to the heart muscle, which can lead to sudden and severe chest pains or heart attack.
Coronary calcium scan is a screening study that use for people who have risk factors for CAD but no clinical symptoms.
Calcium scoring CT method is non-invasive test, fast, no contrast and uses small amount of radiation to detect the calcium plaque. The result will be reported within one hour.
Who should take this screening test
1. People age 40 or above
3. High blood pressure
4. High blood lipids (fats)
5. People with a family history of cardiovascular diseases
7. Overweight or obese
8. Lack of exercise
For person who does not meet the criteria in above group, they also can do this test. If they desire to screening the heart diseases.
***This procedure is not suitable for persons during pregnancy or planning for pregnancy.
Preparing to undergo the procedure
1. No special preparation is necessary in advance of a calcium scoring CT
2. Please contact CT department 15-30 minutes before your appointment time to change your clothes.
1.The technologist begins by positioning you on the CT exam table, lying flat on your back.
2. ECG electrodes will be attached to your chest.
3. Patients are asked to hold their breath for a period of 5 to 10 seconds.
4. The procedure takes about 15 minutes.
- Radiologist’s Fee for test results interpretation
- Doctor's fee for results interpretation
- Diagnostic service of coronary artery calcium scoring CT
- Outpatient services fee and Nursing services fee
- Doctor’s fee of expenses incurred of other treatments.
- Expenses incurred not included in the package.
- Take-home medicines and medical supplies
Heart (Cardiology) Center
Daily 07:00 - 20:00 hrs
14th Floor, Bumrungrad International Clinic (BIC) Building,
Bumrungrad International Hospital
33 Sukhumvit 3, Wattana, Bangkok, 10110 Thailand
Term & Conditions :
- This package applies to the OPD case only.
- Please make an appointment prior to the service, call 1378.
- This package is non-refundable in all conditions
- Prices are valid until 31 December 2022
- The service is available 365 days from the date of purchase.