For patients with mild symptoms, treatment options include:
- Lifestyle modifications: avoiding heavy lifting and maintaining a healthy weight
- Strengthening back/core muscles
- Physical therapy
- Epidural steroid injections
For individuals with severe symptoms, such as severe leg pain, short walking distances, or symptoms that significantly interfere with daily life, surgery can be an effective treatment. There are many types of surgeries available, depending on each patient's specific needs:
- Surgery to remove tissue and bone that compress the spinal nerve. This can currently be done through a microscope or endoscope, resulting in a small incision, minimal injuries, short hospital stay, and rapid recovery.
- Surgery to insert a spinal implant fixation and remove the tissue and bone that compress the spinal nerve. This is ideal for patients with severe back pain from spinal joint degeneration, spinal deformity, or spinal instability."