The Eyelid Spa is an eyelid massage and cleaning service for the relief of chronic dry eyes. Available at the Eye Center at Bumrungrad Hospital, the service is provided by professional nurses who have been trained in eyelid spa therapy. Prior to undergoing Eyelid Spa treatment, the patient must undergo diagnosis and be approved for treatment by an eye doctor.
What is an Eyelid Massage?
An eyelid massage is a type of massage that is performed along the length of the eyelids to relieve obstruction of the meibomian glands. A glass rod and cotton bud are used to squeeze the oily fluid out from the glands.
Eyelid Spa Procedure (about 30 minutes)
- The patient lies on his/her back while a nurse applies a warm gel to the eyes for about 10 minutes (or as directed by the doctor) to loosen the oily fluid.
- After application of the warm gel, an anesthetic agent is applied. Then, the nurse begins to massage the eyelids by using a glass rod and cotton bud to work the oily fluid out from the glands. Working with a microscope, the nurse can see any debris and oily fluid that are blocking the glands.
- The nurse cleans the eyelids thoroughly yet gently with special foam, working along the length of the eyelids from the inner corner to the outer corner.
Benefits of the Eyelid Spa
- Removes any debris, unblocks the glands and cleans the eyelids
- Removes eyelash mites
- Relieves eyelid inflammation and irritation
- Relieves conditions of dry eyes
The Eyelid Spa is painless procedure. After receiving the treatment, the patient can immediately return to normal activities including driving.
Bumrungrad International Clinic (BIC) Building, 18th
Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
For Appointments and Inquiries