Swallowing training program 5 visits
People who suffer from dysphagia are at a high risk of respiratory tract complications (such as infection and airway blockage) caused by food or water accidentally entering the lungs. Dysphagia also often to result in chronic dehydration and malnutrition. If left untreated, dysphagia tends to get worse or causes more undesirable side effects, resulting in lengthening the overall treatment times. Dysphagia sufferers should therefore seek treatment as soon as possible. Treatment methods vary according to the symptoms experienced by each individual. This will be taken into account by the physician in order to design and customised a treatment plan.
Common causes of dysphagia
- Neurological causes, such as strokes, Parkinson’s disease, or dementia.
- Physiological causes, such as tumors or tissue growths in the neck or head area, or history of surgery/radiotherapy in the throat or mouth area.
The dysphagia treatment program involves five sessions with occupational therapists who specialize in treating dysphagia, and will entail a range of techniques and measures tailored specifically to the individual patient. The patient’s food and drink habits will be assessed, and swallowing techniques will be given accordingly. The patient will also receive an exercise regimen designed to strengthen muscles and nerves involved, posture correction, and eating and drinking utensils that are especially useful to dysphagia patients.
- Five swallow training sessions with an occupational therapist
- The cost of specialist equipment used in training, such as Vital stim or Rephagia biofeedback
- Physician’s fees and nursing fees
Terms & Conditions:
- The patient should see their physician for a physical examination and treatment planning beforehand.
- Please make an appointment prior to each visit via 02 011 2449. For more information, please contact Occupational Therapy Department at
02 011 2449
- Occupational therapy sessions take place at the Physiotherapy Department, 4th floor, Building B, and will take approximately
50-60 minutes each.
- Package available from today.
- Package available as outpatient service only.
- This is a fixed-price package. No corporate discounts, insurance discounts, or any other discounts may be applied.