How Does Local Hyperthermia Treat Various Types of Cancers?
A Local Hyperthermia machine targets an area where a tumor or localized cancer cells are located. It uses heat generating energy (i.e. radio waves) to raise the temperature in that area in order to kill cancer cells, as well as their supporting nearby blood vessels, which enable them to thrive. Local hyperthermia treatment also has the added benefit of stimulating the individual’s immune system in that area, in a similar manner as having a fever that increases the immune system’s ability to fight illnesses.
Is Local Hyperthermia Used With Other Treatments?
Yes, it is often used with both chemotherapy and radiation. The heat at the site decreases the cancers cells ability to be resilient against the actions of chemotherapy and radiation. Thereby local hyperthermia complements the underlying actions making the outcomes better than if chemotherapy or radiation are completed alone. It also may result in less toxic side effects to the patient in certain cases if lower doses are used.
What Can A Patient Expect?
To be lying down on the bed portion of the machine and moved into an ideal position. The probes will be placed over and below the specific site by the physician who will enter into the computer the amount of energy required for treatment. A nurse will remain throughout to monitor how well the patient is feeling during the procedure, and to ensure that the amount of heat energy transferred remains stable. This ensures that the temperature rises to the appropriate level, stays consistent at the site and decreases the chance of injury.
Are Side Effects Possible?
As with most procedures' side effects may occur. These can include pain and skin damage at the site although they generally do not last long. Nerve or muscle damage around the treatment area are also possible although rare.
Who Do I Contact?
- Make an appointment to see an expert treating physician at Esperance.
- Provide all relevant medical history and discuss if local hyperthermia should be part of your cancer treatment plan.
- Please disclose all medications or treatment plans you are currently participating in at initial consultation.
Term & Conditions
- This service can be used at Esperance Integrative Cancer Clinic 11th Floor, BI Tower Building.
- Physical examination and consultation with Esperance doctor at first visit are requested prior to the procedure. Esperance will refund full amount if individual cannot undergo the procedure.
- This package may not be used in collaboration with corporate partner or under insurance direct billing agreements. Moreover, it may not be combined with any other offers, discounts, corporate partner discounts, or promotions.
- This offer is package price, if you cannot receive some treatments, Esperance reserves the right to deny a partial refund.
- Terms, conditions, and prices are subject to change without prior notice.
- Please make an appointment in advance. Tel 02-011-5588 or [email protected]