Complications in back surgeries such as this are infrequent and usually minor. However, as with any spine surgery, there are risks, including the possibility of:
- Nerve root damage leading to a sensation of numbness, tingling or weakness in the legs
- Tears to the protective coating around the nerves and spinal cord
- Re-herniation of the same disc
- Pain that persists or worsens after surgery
- Reaction to the anesthesia
Risks from any surgery can be reduced by following the surgeon's instructions before and after the back surgery.