To choose food that is lower in fat, think about their ingredients and method of cooking.
- Recommended choices
- Dishes based on lean meats, chicken or seafood.
- Vegetables, rice, pastas or breads.
- Dishes that are grilled, char-grilled, roasted, braised, stir-fried or steamed.
- Avoid food
- Creamy sauces or heavy dressing (ask for them on the side)
- Fried or deep fried foods.
- Menu choices that hide fat include saute', pan-fried, crumbed, cream, mornay, butter sauce, pastry, or grilled with cheese.
This information was taken from Promoting Heart Health: "An educational Resource Manual for Rural and Remote Health Workers", Queensland Health Department, Queensland University of Technology and the National Heart Foundation of Australia.