Beginning with patient safety, and all the way down to brand identity, the idea of accreditation standards and best practice certifications and awards are a vital part of managing and ensuring a high quality of care. The importance of accreditation goes beyond the governing body which bestows a certain certificate or award on a healthcare facility. Instead, the bigger focus is actually on the accreditation criteria, which signals that a healthcare facility was able to meet a very specific and rigorous set of criteria which are standardized across healthcare facilities around the world. Meaning, the standards are not limited to best practices of a specific region or country. For instance, a hospital in Thailand with a Joint Commission International (JCI) certification doesn’t just get measured against standards set here in Thailand, but in the United States and other countries around the world, thus standardizing the quality of care regardless of location. This is why Bumrungrad continues to aim higher with each standard accreditation from around the world. It’s a way of quantifying for our patients the importance of following a globally-recognized set of quality and safety standards that affect patient outcomes.
Recently, Bumrungrad International Hospital became the first private provider in Thailand to be accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), which is the global leader in laboratory medicine and pathology, working to foster excellence in this field through programs such as this accreditation. In order to receive this accreditation, the facility must meet CAP’s rigorous assessment checklist, which evaluates the full spectrum of laboratory practices. This checklist is not altered according to a lab’s size, location, or any other factors, which makes the accreditation carry the same weight for a lab in Thailand as one on the other side of the world.
However, this is not the only instance in which Bumrungrad has shown its commitment to excellence. Here are some more of the globally-recognized organizations that have awarded or accredited Bumrungrad recently:
- The Joint Commission International (JCI) - the international healthcare quality standards for patient care and organization management, recertified in 2017.
- Pathway to Excellence®, by American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC) - the positive practice environment for nurses by valuing nurses’ contributions as patient care partners.
- Center of Excellence Award, by CSSD - Award for the best sterilizing process for instrument and medical device.
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) Accredited - Gold standard of operational excellence, for its clinical laboratory.
- Medical Tourism Hospital of the Year in Asia Pacific 2017, by Global Health and Travel Magazine
- Managing Infection Risk (MIR) Standard, by DNV-GL - The management of infection risk during the delivery of outpatient diagnostic, surgical, therapeutic and rehabilitation care and inpatient medical, surgical, maternity
So, what does this mean for the patient? In short, these accreditations serve as a kind of “stamp of approval” that provide a measurable indication of the hospital’s facilities, practices, and systems. When a patient is in the process of selecting a healthcare provider, these accreditations can serve as measuring tools of the quality of care and outcome one can reasonably expect from each facility. Additionally, research has shown that accreditation programs have a very positive impact on patient outcomes by virtue of standardization and management. By homogenizing specific standards such as patient safety and care processes, Bumrungrad Hospital and its structure of administration are significantly improved, which directly impacts the patient’s experience and outcome.
Posted by Bumrungrad International
August 17, 2017