The Fractional Laser is a revolutionary laser treatment which helps you take years off your appearance. Fractional photothermolysis involves treating a fraction of skin at a time, without affecting the surrounding tissue. It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin (dermis). The amount of skin treated can be varied, making it suitable for all skin conditions and colors. Furthermore, results can be achieved without the downtime, pain, and complications of traditional lasers. These laser columns stimulate the production of younger, smoother, and healthier skin to replace damaged tissue.
How does the treatment work?
Laser treatment targets aging and sun-damaged skin with microscopic laser columns that penetrate deep into your skin to expedite your body’s remodeling of collagen. And since the laser treats only a fraction of tissue at a time, it leaves the surrounding tissue intact — which promotes very rapid healing. The treatment resurfaces your skin by stimulating the growth of new and healthy skin cells, from the inside out.
What conditions are applicable in receiving treatment?
- Wrinkles around the eyes (periorbital wrinkles)
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Age spots/sunspots (pigmented lesions)
- Melasma (irregular patches of brown skin on the forehead, cheeks, upper lip and nose)
- Actinic Keratosis (precancerous lesions)
- Skin resurfacing
What are the benefits of receiving treatment?
- Smoother, fresher, younger-looking skin
- Improved tone and texture
- Removal of unwanted brown spots
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
- Improved appearance of acne scars and surgical scars
Does the treatment hurt?
Most patients describe a burning sensation during treatment. To minimize discomfort, topical anesthesia is applied before the procedure and cold air is used on the treatment area during the procedure. After the treatment, most patients feel as though they have a minor sunburn (which usually diminishes in 1 to 3 hours).
What should I expect after treatment?
During the first 24 hours after treatment, your skin may feel as though it is sunburned. The skin will naturally bronze over the next week or two, and as you continue treatment, the sunburned-to-bronzed appearance will repeat.
- Swelling – usually lasts 2 to 3 days, and will often appear the worst, the day after treatment — especially around the eyes. Make sure to sleep with your head elevated during the first night and apply a cold compress to the treated area for 5-10 minutes of every hour, for the first one to two days.
- Redness - can be covered up with makeup immediately after treatment, if so desired; slight redness could remain for up to one week.
- Dry skin - this procedure tends to cause the skin to flake and dry. This is normal and should resolve within a week. Use a moisturizer to reduce the appearance of dry skin and flakes.
- If you have areas of raw skin exposed, post treatment, keep them moisturized. You do not have to apply bandages. Do not pick at them. They will heal on their own, without interference, very rapidly.There is a limited risk of infection, hyperpigmentation, or scarring. The intensity and duration of side effects depend on the aggressiveness of the treatment and on your personal healing characteristics. Your physician will provide specific instructions about what to expect and how to minimize any side effects.
How is a treatment performed?
First, your skin will be cleansed. Then, about 60 minutes prior to treatment, a topical anesthetic ointment will be applied to the treatment area. The procedure takes 20 to 25 minutes for the full face.
How many treatments will I need and how will they be spaced?
Clinical studies suggest that, on average, an effective treatment regimen will require 3 to 5 sessions, spaced about 2 to 4 weeks apart. Depending on your condition and schedule, you and the physician may choose to space treatment sessions further apart. Results are immediate and progressive, with optimal improvement usually visible in 2 to 3 months. This time frame and treatment structure allows for complete healing and the production of new collagen and elastin to replace damaged tissue.
- Use plenty of SPF 30-50+ several times a day and avoid large amounts of sun exposure, if at all
- possible. Avoid intense sun exposure for at least 3 months after your last treatment. If sun exposure is necessary, wear clothing that covers the treated area.
- Apply a light cream moisturizer whenever your skin feels dry.
- For mild pimple breakouts, keep your skin moisturized.
- Do not use abrasive scrubs or toners for a week or so after the last treatment. Allow the skin to fully heal
- before returning to normal skin care routines. Please read the labels. If your products have any glycolic acids or Retinoic acid in them, discontinue use for two weeks before the procedure and two weeks after the procedure.
- Cleanse and moisturize daily, with light and mild products.
- If you have a history of cold sores, please inform your doctor.
How long do the positive effects of treatment last?
It depends on your particular condition and how you care for your skin. Once your skin is treated, continue to protect and care for it as described above. Your physician will give you specific guidelines to follow, based on your individual needs.
Treatment Facts and Guidelines:
Duration Fraxel™ treatments usually last between 15-45 minutes
Treatment Regimen Most patients see the best results with 1-5 treatments
Results Fraxel™ works with your body’s natural skin cells, so results typically take 1-3 weeks to
Comfort Most patients report the feeling of a “light sunburn” immediately after treatment, but
treatment plans can vary, so ask your physician about the specifics of your treatment.
Skin Center (Dermatology)
Bumrungrad Internation Clinic (BIC) Building, 12th Floor, Counter 12A
Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Inquiry and Appointment:
Phone:+66 (0) 2667 1555
Fax: 0 2667 2915
Online Appointment: Make appointment here
Learn more: Ask us a question